Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Met Sarah Kramer

Kris and I went to the East village on Sat. We had lunch at Teany, on Rivington St., which was actually really good- and the cleanest bathroom in all of NYC :) It is Moby's restaurant, where you can get vegan or veggie food. We shared pasties with potatoes inside a crust and mustard for dipping and a double decker veg turkey and bacon sandwich with salad. The best part- eggcreams with soymilk!

Since we were close by, we stopped at Babycakes on Broome St. for some vegan, sugar free, gluten free and wheat free cupcakes. I always expect friendly people at vegan places- I guess since there aren't too many people with this philosophy. I was kinda surprised how unfriendly they were there, like we were bothering them. The one girl was telling another worker about her drugged out friend. But the cupcakes were pretty good- the wheat free had a hard top, but the gluten free I took home were better. I love the lightly sweetened icing, because I hate when it is sugary sweet. I got chocolate and carrot cake...

Then it was off to Moo Shoes to go buy a pair of Earth Shoes in black and meet Sarah Kramer. She signed my copy of La Dolce Vegan. Sarah is super nice and friendly. She even had her husband Gerry take a pic of us on her camera for her to keep! She is so little and cute. Isa and Terry were there from PPK to see her, too.

Earth shoes have a negative heel which is lower than the front and supposed to help your posture. I am breaking them in now so I can take them to Europe in a little over a month. They are cuter than the picture and have a little flower stiched into the side. It was a fun day!

7 Comments:

Blogger KleoPatra said...

THAT IS
SO
SO
SO
SO
SO
SO
COOL!

What a fun day...

If ever i am in NYC, i am so going to Teany!! Go Moby!

I'm glad you had a day like this, Karen, doing all that great stuff, eating such alive food and checkin' out the no-animals-harmed footwear. THAT is my kind of day for SURE!

Meeting Sarah and Isa... that would be the vegan icing on the vegan cake.

2/21/2007 11:28 PM  
Blogger Tanya Kristine said...

well that's too bad they were rude. i really, really, REALLY, hate that. what's so hard about being pleasant? if you don't liek what you do, don't take it out on me*!

shoes are cute though. how ws sarah...was she cool? she sent me the cutest little magnets...i still have them on my fridge.

*Philosophy does not apply to my co-workers becuase i'm paralyzed here and make too much money to up and quit.

2/22/2007 11:16 AM  
Blogger Sarah Kramer said...

It was so nice to meet you guys. How do you like your new shoes?? :)
xoxo
SARAH

2/22/2007 3:42 PM  
Blogger karen said...

Sarah commented on my blog! Sigh... She was really cool TK. I love my new shoes- they are really cute!!

2/22/2007 3:55 PM  
Blogger Carrieā„¢ said...

Sarah is super nice! I've never met her in person, but she's always answered my e-mails & has commented on my blog. I read her blog all the time and won a couple of give-aways. I got some nutmeg from her and she sent it along with some soap, temporary tattoos & a couple of LDV cards with recipes on them. Then another time, I got some Herbivore stickers!
She was supposed to come to the Toronto Veggie Food Fair but was sick, so I didn't get to meet her. I'm crossing my fingers for this year. If you go to her site govegan.net, there is a very active forum.
Earth shoes had a bit of a boom in the 70's when I was a youngin' and I had a pair of brown ones. I seem to recall them being a Mary Jane style. I would love to get another pair. I stand a lot for work and I think they would help my posture, which would in turn, help my back problems. If you don't mind, zip me a note and let me know how you find them. I'm sure you stand a lot during the day too. (my e-mail is on my blog).
I've done many, many years of customer service and even more years of BEING a customer and it still amazes me how rude some people can be on both sides of the counter. Like you, I assume that veg people are compassionate and friendly. Lucky for me, I've never had the misfortune of discovering otherwise. At least the cupcakes were good!

3/04/2007 2:27 PM  
Blogger urban vegan said...

Great day! Great bathroom. Great shoes--the posture theory is so interesting. I am so jealous of your upcoming trip.

3/04/2007 7:11 PM  
Blogger Webly said...

I LOVE earth shoes. I hope you're also happy with them.

3/20/2007 2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home