Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Ginger and Hoisin Rice Noodles

Dori from the Bakehouse and her daughter Melissa reminded me that Dreena Burton's The Everday Vegan has a noodle recipe in it. I bought rice noodles at Trader Joes that I wanted to use before I go back there Saturday. I meet my friend Kris in Danbury, CT. every so often. We have a secret illness- bargains at Christmas Tree Shops. We shop, have veggie sushi and then get more bargains at TJ's. I have a silver insulated zipper bag to cart home the cold stuff in. She's been a vegetarian longer than I have. I've been one for 10 years, so she must be going on 15! We both make vegan food whenever we get together to cook dinner and dessert.

It was 100 degrees here in NY today. Too hot to take the doggies for a long walk. It was too hot to cook, but I wanted this. I made this yummy noodle dish for dinner tonight. I don't like celery (I know, I'm wierd) so I put in yellow squash instead. Between that, the orange carrots, green and red peppers and the scallions and mushrooms I added, it was so pretty... I also added sesame seeds. I can never follow a recipe perfectly. I do love hoisin sauce.

I have to give Jackie back to my parents tomm. and I will be sad to see her go. The 2 pups are getting along ok. Penny even let Jackie sleep near her, lol. Keep cool...

9 Comments:

Blogger KleoPatra said...

Oh, Karen, this looks great. After i commented at Dori's, i read your note and headed right over here hoping you posted about this hoisin dish. Nice photo and the food looks so good! You got some of the ingredients (all?) at Trader Joe's? Cool!

I like this friend of yours, Kris. Isn't it so great to have pals that eat like you do? No explaining, no hassles, no weird "looks"...

I know yer sad about Jackie goin' back to her "mommy and daddy" but i'm sure she had a fantastic time with you and Penny... and dogs never forget!! It must be very nice for your folks to know they can depend on you to help out like this. And now Penny will appreciate you even MORE since she'll get you all to herself!! (Until the next time you dog sit!)

Whew, 100 degrees! It's FINALLY cooling off here in SoCal. I can't believe the summer... all around the world. There really IS something to this global warming.

I see you're going to see the Al Gore movie soon. Me as well, tho i think it's playing at just one movie house at the moment! I better hurry before it's gone!!

Thanks for the nice photo of the delish food. I'm drooling over here!

8/02/2006 9:39 PM  
Blogger Jody from VegChic said...

LOL, I just drove through Danbury. I was in CT today for work and now I am in White Plains NY.

It is indeed hot! I keep my house at about 78 and the hotel feels like it is freezing.

The noodles look really good. I need to try that recipe. ----So many recipes, so little time.

8/02/2006 10:32 PM  
Blogger urban vegan said...

Loos so good, especially in this heat. It's only 99 today in Philly--a veritable cold snap, huh?

8/03/2006 8:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, GREAT photo!!! This looks delicious.

I bet Penny will be glad to get you all to herself again....That's how the Mitz is anyways.

BFN, Huggs, G

8/03/2006 12:05 PM  
Blogger MeloMeals said...

those noodles look fabulous...

I love the christmas tree shop too.. and my friend Michelle and i make a Trader Joes/xmas tree shop run sevreal times a year..

stay cool! I'm glad the dogs are getting along.. I'll bet penny will actually miss her.

8/03/2006 2:51 PM  
Blogger Tanya Kristine said...

Hey. i saw pink floyd 5 times. i love that band. i almost shed a tear when i heard syd died. he must've been such an interesting charactre. i woul hdave LOVED to have spent a week with him.

(from simon's comment)

8/03/2006 3:17 PM  
Blogger karen said...

Thank You kleo- I told Dreena about this and she posted at her blog that my pic might be better than the one in her book! What an amazing compliment!!! My parents take Penny whenever I go away, too.

Jody- you drive so much for work! I would find that soo tough.

Urban Vegan- I am so glad this heat finally broke! Yay!

Geraldine- Thanks so much!! Penny was a little happy to see Jackie go and I don't miss the 5:30 AM wake up calls from a little doggie!

Melody- I am going tomm and can't wait. If I get anything good- I'll post it.

TK- I love Pink Floyd too...

Kris- I will see you tomm at 11 Am!!

8/04/2006 11:15 PM  
Blogger Carrieā„¢ said...

Karen, that noodle dish looks great. Two (actually 3) rave reviews so I guess that means it's a hit. I know I'd really like this and I think Jim would too.
I'm sure Ms. Jackie O had an enjoyable visit with you. I'm looking at her pictures again and she is very sweet. Love the football pic.
My best friend Michelle is veg too and it is wonderful to eat with her. I hope you and your friend enjoy your day and that it cools down enough for you.

8/05/2006 1:30 AM  
Blogger Dori said...

Glad you liked the noodles. Yours looks just as tastey! Awhh! Doggie sitting, glad you enjoyed it.

8/08/2006 8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home