Monday, July 10, 2006

Just enjoying some time off


This is me when I went to Greece several years back. I probably look about this way now. (back to this weight)

So I got my hair cut and highlighted today, last week it was a cute pedicure. Yay. I so did need to lose those 21 pounds. I never realized how depressed I was with my ex until we split up. I packed on the pounds, lol. I have a long ways to go, but I keep going to the gym everyday. I have always struggled with my weight, so I am glad I am finally doing something about it. I do 2.5-3 miles every day with an incline on the treadmill, plus the circuit and the ellyptical machine. Some days are better than others. I was so glad to find vegan Puma sneakers with all man made materials to work out in.

Dating sucks. Most of the guys I meet pretend to be nice, at first. Or they just want you to "Come over." We all know what that means. It is very depressing. Most of my friends are married or in serious relationships. This is the first summer I will not be going away on vacation. I'd like to take Penny out more, but it has been so hot and humid lately. I took her out one day and she was dragging. My social life is kinda non existent right now, so there isn't much to talk about. I have been reading (Bust is another great magazine) and being domestic. I have a lot of art history work to do, but I have put it off so far.

I made the millet and spinach polenta from VwaV and it didn't come out soft. I kept adding more water and cooking it way longer than Isa said to. However- the sundried tomato pesto that is next to it is AMAZING!!! It tastes like there is parm cheese in it and it's vegan! I also made a stir fry with rice and terriyaki tofu. I freeze my extra firm tofu, thaw andpress, then saute with olive oil in a cast iron pot until crisp. I sprayed the tofu with a little Bragg's aminos before cooking, then I add the sauce when it is crisp. I find even nonveggies will eat and enjoy it this way.

OK- this has been a little long winded. You would think I had been drinking-lol- Sorry TK- haha!

6 Comments:

Blogger Tanya Kristine said...

now, now...nothing to apologize for. my alcohol is MY medicine (however i dont' recommend it ; )

i have a hard time with millet too! I thoguht it was just me.

breakups are very hard. it's hard not to look over your shoulder all the time and even harder to remember you've got so much in front of you that's going to bring you joy. an you went to greece!!! that's awesome!
i'm so glad you posted again. i like reading what you're doing...the SDT pesto sounds yummy...course you really can't go wronge with SDT's can you?

i hate it when it's really hot for my dogs too. kody and Betsy burnt their paws last weekend when we took them to tahoe....i feel like a bad mom when that happens.

chin up, buttercup. you are moving forward....

7/11/2006 11:19 AM  
Blogger Jody from VegChic said...

Hi Karen,

I'm just stopping by to say hi back. Way to go losing 21 pounds! Just keep at it, that's what I have been doing for almost a year now. I'm 30+ pounds lighter, but have about 30 more to go!

You hit the gym 6 days week. That is great! I paid for the gym, but usually failed to go. Finally, I just cancelled the membership. I'm pretty good with getting outdoors or exercise DVDs though. My favorite is TurboJam from Beachbody. They are worth every penny!

Art teacher sounds like a great job. It must be nice to have some time off in the summer.

If your ex was affecting you that much, you are better off now. Look ahead and keep doing what makes you happy!

BTW - Where in NY? Drop me an email if you don't want to post. I'm in White Plains, NY a few times a month for work.

7/11/2006 9:45 PM  
Blogger KleoPatra said...

Karen, this was a great post. I love your honesty and openness about your life, truly.

I am so proud of you taking care of your body with the right way to eat and exercising. It's funny 'cause I was dating a super awful terrible evil guy for three years and I basically was living like a prisoner - my choice to stay with someone like that but really debilitating nevertheless. Long story! Anyway, i gained a ton of weight being with him too mostly because he would not "let" me work out. (Long story.) And he would make totally high-calorie food for us to eat, and i would eat it (and eat it and eat it). He was super skinny, of course! HA! Anyway, isn't it great to be FREE? Especially as you are still growing and changing and learning about yourself. This is the time to pay healthy attention to YOU and to have YOU become healthy. The attention from the guys will come in due time.

I've been through the dating thing so many times. It sucks. And i have a bunch o'pals who are married, but i don't think about that and compare it to what i am doing (or rather NOT doing) because every woman's life, every PERSON's life, is different and special and the right time for every thing, from love and marriage to the career of a lifetime will come when it is supposed to.

My mom always says, "Man plans and G-d laughs." Meaning, we think we're in charge but the universe is really what's happenin' to us.

I know when the weather cools off you will romp and play with Penny again, and she knows that!

Hope your summer continues to provide you with memorable experiences as your road of life continues...

*HUGS*
~K

7/12/2006 1:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Karen, Glad I just found your blog. Congrats on losing 21 pounds and a rotten ex. I'm so impressed that you hit the gym every day. Wow! I don't live anywhere close to a gym so I try to get some outdoor exercise but with it being so hot, I have no motivation. So instead, I have to be REALLY careful about my caloric intake. :( Brownies have been screaming my name for a week now. Can't wait to browse around a little more and get to know you better.

7/14/2006 10:17 AM  
Blogger Carrieā„¢ said...

Thanks for the visit and post on my blog. I could really stand to lose a bunch of weight, but I just can't get motivated. I have chronic back pain and had a really bad spell months ago and got out of the exercising routine and now just can't get back into it. The heat lately doesn't help.
Keep it up. It's a battle, but your health will be so much better. Penny loves you any way you are. Aren't dogs great? They don't care what you look like.

7/14/2006 1:03 PM  
Blogger Dori said...

sundried tomato pesto, this sounds excellent! Good job on the weight loss.... the beach behind you in the picture looks appealing. It sounds like this first summer will be tough until you rebuild your social life into a new one that works for the new you! The new you - yea! Exercise is good for the soul too.

7/15/2006 8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home