Sunday, July 16, 2006

I've been busy

So I wanted to make a black bean dip Harmonia posted on Veggin Out- the veg board for women. I noticed it took lemon juice. I had one fresh lemon left and figured if I was going to use it, I might as well use the zest, too. So instead of just making a simple dip with the food processor, out came the vital wheat gluten, and my microplane and I made seitan from VwaV again, too. It tastes so good! Here it is simmering. Notice the cool spoonrest? I got that in Sorrento from a ceramic artist. It says Capri on it and he painted one of the rock formations that I was able to see on a boat tour when I went to the Isle of Capri. It is an amazing place with tropical blue water.

The seitan is going to be part of dinner later, with my organic veggies from yesterday... I just slice it up and saute with a little olive oil in a cast iron pan until crisp. I find it is so flavorful from the seasonings it doesn't need anything.

The dip is really yummy and so easy to do in the food processor. I used some of the tahini I have left over from the roasted red pepper hummus I made from La Dolce Vegan- that was really good too. It has a nice, creamy texture- I know from the picture it doesn't look yummy, but it is. I dipped Garden of Eatin' organic blue corn chips in it, but pita chips would be good too.

















Here's the ingredients:
15 ounces of Black Beans & liquid for blending
2 cloves of garlic
sea salt to taste
1 teaspoon Cumin Powder
1/4 cup Tahini
1/4 cup lemon or lime juice
1 tablespoon of Parsley

11 Comments:

Blogger urban vegan said...

looks and sounds nouth-watering.

7/16/2006 10:04 PM  
Blogger Harmonia said...

I'm glad you liked this...when I first started making it I couldn't get enough of it...I can't remember where I found the recipe...thanks for blogging about it and "pimping" the forums!

7/16/2006 10:44 PM  
Blogger Carrieā„¢ said...

That dip looks very pretty. What a nice colour.
Don't you just love the seitan from VwaV? I made it for the first time a few days ago. I saved the cooking broth because it was also very yummy. I figure it would be a good soup base. Maybe for some french onion soup.

7/16/2006 11:16 PM  
Blogger KleoPatra said...

Nice spoonrest, love it!! What yer cookin' is very good lookin'! And that dip is something i'll try for sure. Black bean dip is soooooooooooo good. Nice touch in the photo with the blue corn chip and bit o'parsley there. Lovin' it!

7/17/2006 2:04 AM  
Blogger Jody from VegChic said...

That looks yummy Karen. I may give it a try soon, but need to use up some other stuff in my fridge.

I love those blue corn chips too, though need to limit them.

Hope you had a great weekend. Drop me an email before your next trip up to Boston!

7/17/2006 2:29 PM  
Blogger karen said...

Thanks everyone!

Carrie- I forgot to mention in my post that the simmering broth is so good! I save it and use it anytime something calls for broth or as a fantastic soup base. If I'm on a seitan kick, I'll use it again to make more- recycling...lol

7/17/2006 5:32 PM  
Blogger Dori said...

I want some chips and black bean veggie dip. Looks yummy! I'll have to try this sometime.

7/18/2006 9:27 AM  
Blogger Tanya Kristine said...

are you kdding? it looks fabulous!

i've GOT to make that seitan.

7/18/2006 12:07 PM  
Blogger KleoPatra said...

Let me know when yer visiting me, Karen! :o) I promise not to make you cook something like this when you visit!!

7/18/2006 10:01 PM  
Blogger TS said...

That looks delicious. I love dips. :)

7/19/2006 10:28 AM  
Blogger funwithyourfood said...

dip looks good. Thanks for sharing the recipe

teddy

7/19/2006 10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home