Saturday, July 15, 2006

Millet and Spinach Polenta

Several days ago I made this recipe from my ultimate fav cookbook, VwaV. I had a tough time cooking the millet. I forgot to mention, I took the millet mixture and put it back on the stove the next day, added more water to it and cooked it until it was mushy. It set up fantastic as polenta in a tupperware dish. I pan friend it tonight for dinner and had it with the sundried tomato pesto. So yummy. I find a few of Isa's recipes I have to cook with more water, for a longer period of time.

4 Comments:

Blogger KleoPatra said...

i have never used, cooked or even eaten millet except in cereal form (like puffed rice or puffed wheat). What is it like, texture-wise, Karen? Does it have a flavour?

7/15/2006 9:11 PM  
Blogger urban vegan said...

That's fuunny. I wonder if it has anything to do with water hardness or the weather?

Like Dori, I've never cooked millet either.

7/15/2006 10:02 PM  
Blogger karen said...

I bought the millet from my natural food store from the bulk bins. The recipe calls for toasting it first, which brought out a nutty smell.

I cooked it in cast iron, which might have affected the water. When I cooked it again in a normal pan, I had better results. The millet was cooked with broth and seasonings and spinach. It had great flavor as polenta, esp with the sundried tomatoes...

7/15/2006 11:46 PM  
Blogger Carrieā„¢ said...

I've never cooked or eaten hot millet either. I did see it at the Bulk Barn yesterday and thought of that recipe. It was good you say? Maybe it's worth a shot. Hey, I had never cooke quinoa until a couple of years ago and that was a success and a very tasty treat. And sun-dried tomato anything is right up my alley.

7/16/2006 7:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home